Part 2 — So, Are We Truly Free?
If we are legally free, why do invisible expectations still have so much power over our choices?
In Part 1, I talked about the invisible rules that define a “good girl”—how she should behave, speak, dream and adjust.
But here comes the bigger question:
If nobody is legally stopping her, is she really being restricted?
I think it isn't that simple.
Because freedom isn't only about whether someone physically stops you.
Sometimes, the strongest restriction is the fear inside your own mind.
* Freedom ≠ Doing Whatever We Want
When I say I want absolute freedom, I don't mean I want to do whatever I want without responsibility.
A society where everyone does whatever they want without considering others will become chaotic.
My freedom cannot mean taking away someone else's freedom.
So, for me:
Freedom means being able to make my own choices, express myself and pursue my dreams while respecting the law and the rights and dignity of others.
And this is where the Constitution matters.
But we also need to understand something:
Social expectations are not the same as laws.
“Good girls don't do this” is not a law.
“People will judge you” is not a law.
“Everyone in our family has always done it this way” is not automatically a reason to take away someone's choice.
* Values or Invisible Chains?
I am not against values, morals or traditions.
A society needs them.
But there is a difference between values guiding you and values controlling you.
There is a difference between choosing to adjust and being expected to adjust every single time.
So perhaps we should ask:
When does guidance become control?
When does adjustment become self-erasure?
When does tradition become a restriction?
Are We Really Free?
A woman may legally have the freedom to choose her career.
But imagine constantly hearing:
“A good girl doesn't choose a career like that.”
She technically has a choice.
But if choosing it means facing guilt, pressure, fear of judgement or dependence—
how free does that choice actually feel?
This doesn't mean every disagreement is oppression.
But when social pressure becomes so strong that someone abandons her own choices simply because she fears being judged, we need to pause.
Because sometimes nobody takes our freedom away.
We surrender it ourselves because we were taught to fear using it.
*Independence Also Means Ability
This Independence Day, I don't want to think only about the freedom we achieved as a nation.
I also want to think about the freedom we experience as individuals.
Can I express myself without fear?
Can I dream without asking whether my dreams are acceptable?
Can I be ambitious without being called selfish?
Can I say no without being called disrespectful?
Can I make my own decisions without feeling guilty for having a mind of my own?
That is freedom to me.
I want to express myself openly.
I want to make my own decisions.
I want to enjoy my life.
I want to do the things I have always dreamed of.
I want to be completely myself.
While respecting the law.
While respecting others.
But without constantly shrinking myself to fit someone else's definition of a “good girl.”
Maybe that is what independence beyond borders means.
Not just freedom from an external ruler.
But freedom from the invisible chains that tell us:
Don't dream too big.
Don't speak too much.
Don't be too ambitious.
Don't be too independent.
Don't be too much.
And perhaps the most important question this Independence Day isn't:
“Are we free?”
But—
“Are we free to be ourselves?”
— Just Pranjali Things
Happy Independence day Readers.
Hope you got something meaningful to read. Please provide the feedback and tell me your opinions or suggestions.
I would be glad to hear from you all.
Thankyou.
🙌🏻🙌🏻
ReplyDeleteThankyou
Delete